Monday, April 3, 2017

Cherry blossom collar with 3D printing

3D printed cherry blossom collar
 Inspired by all the beautiful cherry blossoms and a giant roll of pink 3D printing filament, I decided to make a quick little 3D printing project and accessory.
Tidal Basin cherry blossoms



3D printing a test flower.  I used Tinkercad to make the flower model based on some other sakura models I found on the internet.
Printing directly onto the fabric using the "sandwich" method with a few layers printed below the fabric and the rest printed above.  

Here's a video of the 3D printer doing its thing.

I used this simplicity pattern for the collar.  I agree with online reviews, the L isn't really very large, its about 14-14.5 inches.  Given how simple the pattern pieces are they should extend the sizes.  The overall pattern was simple to sew and finish.

Here's the finished print.  It took about 2 hours, one hour for each side.  The overhanging petals didn't print as nicely as the rest of the model but a little sanding finished them up.



I decided to go with a burgundy as the backing color.


Finished cherry blossom collar









No comments:

Post a Comment