My favorite of the "Big 3" pattern companies for costumes is Simplicity. I think they consistently have the most on-trend new costumes and have had some great historical costume patterns over the years. I hit up their pattern drawers whenever my local Joanns has a 99 cent sale.
Their recent steampunk patterns caught my eye, particularly Simplicity 2172, because the styling on the cover was great and it seemed like a fun outfit with pieces that could work in various combinations for different styles. I really liked the red taffeta look on the pattern cover, but since the pattern called for a lot of fabric I didn't think I had enough in my stash.
From the Stash:
- 3 yards green suedecloth with embroidery and metal sequins
- 1/2 yard synthetic organza
- 2.5 yards of synthetic brown polyester lining
- 4 fancy clasps
- 1 yard embroidered rust colored taffeta for bustier (not finished yet)
- 4 yards of embroidered brown taffeta (at $3 a yard)